WAIS Network at Southampton
Members of WAIS are also part of several others projects and initiatives of the University:
- Web Science Institute (WSI) coordinates and realizes multi-disciplinary education, research, and innovation activities around Web Science across Departments and Faculties at Southampton.
- CyberSecurity Network of Excellence, established by GCHQ and led by Prof Vladimiro Sassone
- Web Science Doctoral Training Centre is hosted by WAIS, which runs an interdisciplinary cohort-based 4-year iPhD for 10-15 students per year.
National and International Network
We are at the core of several global education, research, and enterprise networks and engage with the wider community to address some of the greatest economic and societal challenges facing the World Wide Web today. These include
- Web Science Trust Network of Laboratories, which brings together research labs around the world who specialize in Web Science.
- SoFWIReD collaborative venture with Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft, Germany, which combines the research and development expertise of the two partners to bring innovative ideas in the areas of Web observatories, crowdsourcing, and smart and open media to the market.
- Digital Economy Catapult is an innovative centre led by busineses, scientists and engineers in UK to generate economic growth. In the Catapult, they can work along side each other and transform research ideas, prototypes and early stage demostrations into business product and services.
- Open Data Institute is a non-profit company funded by Technology Strategy Board. It's goal is to fully release the potential of open data on both economical and social levels, and enable open data to generate demands, create opptunitities for new types of businesses.
- World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) is a international community that develop and distribute royal-free standards related to World Wide Web. W3C aims to continously drive the growth of Web and improve the security, trustness and privacy of the Web. The members of WAIS group have been actively participated in the standarisation work of W3C.
- Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) is an organisation producing internet relevant technical documents that guide people design, use, and manage the infrustructure and content on the Internet.
- European Research Consortium for Informatics and Mathematics (ERCIM) is a non-profit orgainisation to forster the colloboration with in research communities in Europe and increase the communications between the research and industrial sectors.
There are two groups based in WAIS that provide useful expertise and consultancy
- EPrints Services, originally established in September 2006, is a commercial enterprise run by ECS Partners that offers services based on open access and open data software developed in WAIS.
- the Software Sustainability Institute is an EPSRC funded activity that promotes good software and data engineering practices in research projects. It provides a consultancy and training service for research groups and research projects around the UK.